The Information Technology Services at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory is seeking qualified applicants for a Linux Systems Engineer position in the Research and Development Linux Systems Support Team. The R&D Linux Systems Support Team exists to facilitate lab goals through systems engineering, integration and support for the research community at ORNL. We run mid-range clusters, servers, workstations and other services where science happens at the lab.
This position will support ORNL’s Knowledge Discovery Infrastructure. KDI is comprised of multiple tenants performing research and analytics with Health Care data using high performance parallel compute, and an array of specialized computational appliances providing rare capabilities in data, such as graph analytics and deep learning vital to a variety of scientific domains. You will work with the KDI Operational team, both maintaining existing services and contributing to the design and rollout of new services for the health care research community. Due to the nature of the data, all work must be performed on-site.
Primary duties include:
- Design, install, configure, and maintain (including patching) Linux systems, Storage, Backup, and application software in support of research needs. Provide consulting in the selection and purchase of hardware and software systems.
- Provide configuration management utilizing Puppet and Ansible.
- Ensure the secure and effective operation of computing systems through compliance with ORNL procedures and IT Internal Operating Procedures.
- Troubleshoot system problems quickly and effectively.
- Work with other systems engineers and vendors to resolve hardware and software issues.
- Answer escalated user calls in addition to primary project work.
- Develop and document procedures including, but not limited to, startup, execution, shutdown, backup, and recovery.
- Monitor systems performance and availability with Check_MK and other tools.
- Install and configure software, both commercial packages and various open source packages.
- Maintain documentation/notes on software builds and installs.
- Work with scientific users to determine needs, and balance needs against cyber requirements to provide a solution that meets the requirements of both.
N/A, Oak Ridge, TN, N/A, Gevonna Williams