Listed below are recommended·programs for your computer.
Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint
If you are running any of the 2003 or 97 Microsoft programs you need to go to this link and download this program that will allow you to open any of the 2007 Microsoft Word, Excel or PowerPoint files that you may get as an attachment.
- ·Users of the Microsoft Office XP and 2003 programs Word, Excel, or PowerPoint—please install all High-Priority updates from Microsoft Update before downloading the Compatibility Pack (click here).
- By installing the Compatibility Pack in addition to Microsoft Office 2000, Office XP, or Office 2003, you will be able to open, edit, and save files using the file formats new to Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007. The Compatibility Pack can also be used in conjunction with the Microsoft Office Word Viewer 2003, Excel Viewer 2003, and PowerPoint Viewer 2003 to view files saved in these new formats. For more information about the Compatibility Pack, see Knowledge Base article 924074.
- Note: If you use Microsoft Word 2000 or Microsoft Word 2002 to read or write documents containing complex scripts, please see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925451 for information to enable Word 2007 documents to be displayed correctly in your version of Word.
If you do NOT have Microsoft Word, Excel or PowerPoint installed on your computer, you can still open attachments by using the FREE Microsoft reader for each program. Click on any of the links below.
Need to make pdf files from a document you have?
There are many FREE programs to do this. One that I have used for many years is called doPDF. Click here·to get to download page.
Using doPDF you can freely convert documents to searchable PDF files from any Windows application. It installs as a printer driver and helps you generate the PDF files by simply selecting the "print" command from any application (you can convert your Word documents, Excel sheets, PowerPoint presentations, AutoCad drawings, companyâ€™s reports, contracts, work-flows, agreements, marketing plans, forms, products list, price list, charts, emails or web pages). The resulted PDF files can be viewed on any computer with a PDF viewer (reader) installed.
This PDF converter is compatible with Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista (32 and 64-bit versions) and requires approximately 10MB of free disk space for the installation. It doesn't require third party tools to be installed in order to generate the pdf file (like Adobe Acrobat or GhostScript).
doPDF has a lot of features that allows you to: modify the paper size, modify the resolution (from 72 to 2400 dpi), change page orientation (portrait, landscape), change the quality settings and lots more.
No one program is going to provide all the needed protection for your computer. Here are·4 programs and they are ALL FREE. There are many good program that you have to pay for. Install one program at a time, then be sure that it is updated, then run a full scan, then load the next program and repeat. Click on any of the program names to go to the download site.
- Microsoft Window Defender - Windows Defender is software that helps protect your computer against pop-ups, slow performance, and security threats caused by spyware and other unwanted software by detecting and removing known spyware from your computer. Windows Defender features Real-Time Protection, a monitoring system that recommends actions against spyware when it's detected, minimizes interruptions, and helps you stay productive.
- AVG· - AVG Free Edition is the well-known antivirus protection tool. AVG Free is available free of charge to home users for the life of the product. Rapid virus database updates are available for the lifetime of the product, thereby providing the high level of detection capability that millions of users around the world trust to protect their computers. AVG Free is easy to use and will not slow your system down (low system resource requirements. Highlights include automatic update functionality, the AVG Resident Shield, which provides real-time protection as files are opened and programs are run, free Virus Database Updates for the lifetime of the product, and AVG Virus Vault for safe handling of infected files.
- Ad-Aware - With behavior-based threat detection and integrated real-time monitoring, Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition focuses on core consumer security needs. Instead of adding layers of bells and whistles--thereby slowing your computer and scans down--we have decided to focus on what really matters. Anniversary Edition provides advanced threat protection, and is significantly lighter and faster than our previous versions. Numerous changes in Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition include: Behavior-based heuristical detection; Ad-Watch Live! integrated real-time protection; Customizable Profile Scans and full integration with Windows Security Center.
- Avast - avast! is a free (for at home personal use only) antiviral system and can be downloaded here: www.avast.com.·The only catch is you have to sign up as a user.· That does not require any form of payment.· All it needs is your name and your e-mail address.· (I use a shortened version of my own name, personally, which is an option if you don't want to give out your full name.)· Oh: If after you've downloaded it, avast! starts talking to you out loud, telling you its updated and such, don't be alarmed.· Its supposed to do that. Fortunately, you can turn the "VIRUS DATABASE UPDATED!!!" message off.· It didn't take me long to get tired of jumping out of my skin every time a new virus update arrived.· This following procedure is for Windows Vista, but should be similar for most other Windows versions.·1) Open Control Panel 2)·Open "Sound, 3)·Select the "Sounds" tab, 4)·Scroll down in the "Program" box to the entries for avast! antivirus, 5)·For the "Automatic VPS update", change the sound to "none", 6)·Click "OK". I don't recommend turning off the various warning virus messages, however.
- Spybot - Search & Destroy - Spybot - Search & Destroy can detect and remove a multitude of adware files and modules from your computer. Spybot also can clean program and Web-usage tracks from your system, which is especially useful if you share your computer. Modules chosen for removal can be sent directly to the included file shredder, ensuring complete elimination from your system. For advanced users, it allows you to fix Registry inconsistencies related to adware and to malicious program installations. The handy online-update feature ensures that Spybot always has the most current and complete listings of adware, dialers, and other uninvited system residents.